new video loaded: Typhoon Strikes Philippines, Days After a Storm Killed 200 People
By Jorge Mitssunaga
November 9, 2025
new video loaded: Typhoon Strikes Philippines, Days After a Storm Killed 200 People
By Jorge Mitssunaga
November 9, 2025
A required part of this site couldn’t load. This may be due to a browser
extension, network issues, or browser settings. Please check your
connection, disable any ad blockers, or try using a different browser.
Davie’s exit caps a week of attacks on Britain’s public broadcaster, with Trump’s press secretary describing BBC as ‘100 percent fake news’.
The director-general of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has resigned after a row over the editing of a speech made by US President Donald Trump on the day of the 2021 attack on the United States Capitol.
Sunday’s joint resignations of Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness capped a turbulent week of accusations that the broadcaster edited a speech Trump made on January 6, 2021, to make it appear as if he encouraged the riots that followed his defeat in the 2020 presidential election.
list of 3 itemsend of list
Davie said he took “ultimate responsibility” for mistakes made, saying that quitting his role at the helm of the public broadcaster after five years was “entirely my decision”.
“I have been reflecting on the very intense personal and professional demands of managing this role over many years in these febrile times, combined with the fact that I want to give a successor time to help shape the charter plans they will be delivering,” he said.
A documentary by flagship programme Panorama aired a week before last year’s US election, splicing together clips of Trump’s speech uttered at different points.
The edit made it seem as if Trump said: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol and I’ll be there with you, and we fight. We fight like hell.”
Critics said it was misleading as it cut out a section where Trump said he wanted supporters to demonstrate peacefully.
Turness said the controversy about the Trump documentary “has reached a stage where it is causing damage to the BBC – an institution that I love”.
“As the CEO of BBC News and Current Affairs, the buck stops with me,” she added.
Earlier on Sunday, UK Culture, Media and Sport Minister Lisa Nandy called the allegations “incredibly serious”, saying there is a “systemic bias in the way that difficult issues are reported at the BBC”.
Reporting from London, Al Jazeera’s Rory Challands noted that the BBC has always been in a difficult position.
“It is pilloried by the right, who perceive it to be a hotbed of liberal bias. It’s pilloried by the left, who think that it kowtows to the establishment and pumps out government lines when it comes to things like Gaza, particularly, not holding the powerful to account as it should do as a broadcaster.”
The controversy, whipped up by UK right-wing media, reached the other side of the Atlantic with Trump’s press secretary Karoline Leavitt describing the BBC as “100 percent fake news” and a “propaganda machine” on Friday.
The story broke on Tuesday when The Daily Telegraph cited a memo complied by Michael Prescott, a former member of the BBC’s editorial standards committee, which raised concerns over the Trump edit, as well as criticising perceived anti-Israel bias in the BBC’s Arabic service.
On Saturday, the newspaper reported right-wing lawmaker Priti Patel, of the Conservative Party, demanded the UK Foreign Office review its funding of BBC Arabic through its grant for the BBC World Service, alleging “pro-Hamas and anti-Israel bias”.
The broadcaster has also been accused of giving Israel favourable coverage in its reporting of the war on Gaza, coming under criticism from its own staff.
Davie’s resignation was celebrated by Nigel Farage, leader of the populist hard-right Reform UK party, which is soaring in opinion polls.
“This is the BBC’s last chance. If they don’t get this right there will be vast numbers of people refusing to pay the licence fee,” Farage said on X.
Mexico unveils security operation in violent Michoacan state after brazen assassination of mayor
EPA/ ShutterstockFlight delays and cancellations continue to snarl US air travel for a third day as Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy warned air traffic will be “reduced to a trickle” if the US government shutdown continues.
Roughly 1,400 flights to, from, or within the US were cancelled and 2,700 delayed on Sunday morning, according to flight tracker FlightAware. The longest delays were reported in Newark, New Jersey – more than two hours on average.
In a hopeful sign, lawmakers are working on a possible deal to reach a compromise on government funding and end the shutdown, according to US media reports.
The Senate was scheduled to convene on Sunday in a rare weekend session.
Duffy warned the impacts on air travel will grow dire if they do not break the stalemate soon.
“You’re going to see air travel be reduced to a trickle,” he said on CNN on Sunday. He added that travellers trying to fly home for the Thanksgiving holiday later this month may not be able to get there.
“Many of them are not going to be able to get on an airplane, because there are not going to be that many flights that fly if this thing doesn’t open back up,” he said.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced last week that it would be reducing air travel capacity by up to 6% this weekend and 10% by next weekend at 40 of the nation’s busiest airports. The cuts do not apply to international flights, but some airlines may choose to also cancel some of those flights, the FAA said.
Air traffic controllers, who are not being paid during the shutdown, are reportedly fatigued and not coming to work, triggering the reductions in air traffic allowances.
Duffy said Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth offered to have military air traffic controllers step in to help but he declined the offer because they are not certified to direct air traffic at the civilian airports.
Altogether, hundreds of thousands of federal workers are not being paid since the Government ran out of money on 1 October. Food assistance for low-income Americans also has been in limbo, with the administration agreeing to pay only half of monthly benefits.
Sunday marked the 40th day of the longest shutdown in history as Republicans and Democrats still have not agreed on a funding resolution to reopen the government.
Republicans and Democrats have blamed each other for causing the impasse and for the travel disruptions.
The White House on Friday said Democrats are “inflicting their man-made catastrophe on Americans just trying to make life-saving medical trips or get home for Thanksgiving”.
Meanwhile, Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer on Saturday accused Republicans of “playing games with people’s livelihoods”.
Democrats have refused to back any Republican spending plan unless money for health insurance subsidies be included, while Republicans want to provide funding for the government without anything else attached.
President Donald Trump suggested over the weekend money should be sent directly to Americans to buy health insurance rather than to insurance companies.
Republican senators are working on a compromise package that could end the impasse with a vote to advance legislation possibly coming on Sunday.
President Donald Trump again suggested using tariff revenue to provide Americans with a “dividend,” though Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said it could come “in lots of forms.”
On Sunday, Trump posted on Truth Social that opponents of his tariffs are “fools,” adding that the government is taking in trillions of dollars that will go toward paying down U.S. debt.
“Record Investment in the USA, plants and factories going up all over the place,” he wrote. “A dividend of at least $2000 a person (not including high income people!) will be paid to everyone.”
Tariffs are expected to generate $300 billion-$400 billion annually. And over the next 10 years, the Congressional Budget Office has estimated they could produce $3.3 trillion in revenue.
With such high hopes for a massive windfall, Trump has floated a tariff-related payment multiple times in the past. But his latest proposal came just days after his administration told the Supreme Court that tariffs are not meant to generate revenue.
On ABC’s This Week with George Stephanopoulos on Sunday, Bessent said he’s not worried that Trump’s public statements are undercutting his arguments at the high court, which is considering a challenge to his global tariffs enacted under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act.
The Treasury chief said tariffs are meant to rebalance trade, with revenue eventually shifting to domestic taxes as more high-paid manufacturing jobs come back to the U.S.
He added that he hadn’t yet talked to Trump about the $2,000 dividend idea, which would require Congress to pass legislation.
But Bessent also pointed to tax provisions that have already been signed into law in his tax-and-spending bill as sources of the dividend.
“The $2,000 dividend could come in lots of forms, in lots of ways,” he explained. “You know, it could be just the tax decreases that we are seeing on the president’s agenda. You know, no tax on tips, no tax on overtime, no tax on Social Security. Deductibility of auto loans. So, you know, those are substantial deductions that, you know, are being financed in the tax bill.”
So Americans may not get a check in the mail. But Bessent’s suggestion that the dividend may not involve fresh allocations would also help sidestep difficult budget math.
So much tariff revenue has been coming in that it’s helped keep budget deficits from getting much worse. But that assumes the revenue actually goes toward funding the federal government. Drawing on that money to instead pay for dividends would require the government to issue more debt.
Trump’s social media post didn’t include additional details on the dividend. But Erica York, a tax policy expert at the Tax Foundation, attempted some back-of-the-envelope calculations.
Assuming the cutoff for “high income” Americans is $100,000, then about 150 million adults would qualify for the dividend, putting the cost at nearly $300 billion, she posted on X, adding that the cost grows if children are also eligible.
“The math gets worse accounting for the full budgetary impact of tariffs: a dollar of tariff revenue offsets about 24 cents of income and payroll tax revenue,” York said. “Adjusting for that, tariffs have raised $90 billion of net revenues compared to Trump’s proposed $300 billion rebate.”
The Dallas Mavericks may play in Texas, but Mexico City felt like home last weekend. In front of 20,385 passionate fans at Arena CDMX, the Mavs faced the Detroit Pistons in the NBA’s 34th Mexico Game. Though Dallas lost 113–101, the energy inside the arena never dipped. Every basket from Klay Thompson or D’Angelo Russell drew roars. Fans chanted for Cooper Flagg and cheered every Maverick as if they were locals.
The game was a spectacle beyond basketball. Oaxacan alebrijes decorated the court. Mariachi bands played between quarters. Colorful catrinas danced at center court for Día de los Muertos. It was more than a regular-season matchup—it was a cultural celebration that felt like a homecoming for Dallas.
No NBA team has played in Mexico more than the Mavericks, with eight total appearances dating back to 1992. Their first matchup came in a preseason game against the Houston Rockets, marking the start of a unique relationship between the franchise and Mexico’s growing basketball fanbase. Even during losing seasons, the Mavs gained visibility among Spanish-speaking fans both abroad and in Dallas, a city with one of the largest Mexican communities in the U.S.
That bond deepened in 2000 when the Mavericks traded for Chihuahua-born forward Eduardo Nájera. He became just the second Mexican-born player to reach the NBA and the first to be drafted. “He’s the reason so many Mexicans love the Mavericks,” said Gabriel Mendez, a fan from Mexico City wearing a Dirk Nowitzki jersey.


Nájera’s presence made the Mavericks Mexico’s adopted team. “The Mavs and Mexico will always have a special bond thanks to Nájera,” said Rodrigo García Rojas, host of the Dropping Dimes podcast. His influence turned every Mavericks appearance in Mexico—especially their 2003 exhibition game—into a national event.
Since then, Dallas has kept the connection alive. Luka Dončić’s 2019 performance in Mexico included the first triple-double in NBA Mexico history. The team also helped renovate public courts in Monterrey and supported the G League’s Mexico City Capitanes.
As fans flooded Arena CDMX shouting “¡Vamos, Mavs!”, one thing became clear: until Mexico City has its own NBA franchise, the Dallas Mavericks are—and will remain—Mexico’s team.
This custom tiny house provides an apartment-like living experience for its owners – and their pets too. Despite its length of just 36 ft (11 m), it squeezes in a spacious living area, a well-stocked kitchen, and a downstairs bedroom.
The unnamed home from Tru Form Tiny is mounted on a quad-axle trailer. Its dimensions are roughly mid-size for a high-end North American model nowadays.
Its contemporary exterior is finished in board and batten siding, with cedar accenting, and is topped by a black metal roof. Additionally, it has an awning mounted. The interior measures roughly 400 sq ft (37 sq m), and is arranged around an open layout spread over two floors.
The glass door main entrance opens onto the living room, which is quite spacious and includes a large sofa, a coffee table and a fireplace. The pet-friendly additions include a cat door built into the wall, and a cat walk with a roped pole to make it easier for the owner’s beloved feline to make their way around the house.
Tru Form Tiny
Next to the living room is the kitchen. This contains a fridge/freezer, an oven with four-burner stove, a dishwasher, a sink, and a separate washing machine and dryer. There’s also seating for up to three people, and it has quite a lot of cabinetry and maple butcher block countertops.
The kitchen connects to the bathroom. Accessed by sliding door, it includes a freestanding bathtub/shower, which is a rare luxury to have in a tiny house, plus a flushing toilet and a vanity sink with custom matching hickory wood medicine cabinet.
Another sliding door in the kitchen reveals the master bedroom. This has enough headroom to stand upright, which is another welcome feature, plus some integrated storage space, a double bed, and its own door directly to the outside. There’s a second bedroom in this model too, which is reached by a removable ladder. It’s a typical loft bedroom with a low ceiling and a double bed.
Tru Form Tiny
We’ve no word on the cost of this tiny house, but it was based on Tru Form Tiny’s Cascade Max park model which starts at US$198,000.
Source: Tru Form Tiny
new video loaded: Powerful Tornado Leaves Trail of Destruction in Southern Brazil
By McKinnon de Kuyper
November 9, 2025
0:36
2:26
0:50
0:49
0:20
0:31
Advertisement
A Spotify subscriber has sued Spotify, alleging the streaming giant deceives users by letting labels boost song visibility through reduced royalty payments while marketing playlists as “personalized” recommendations.
The lawsuit was lodged by Genevieve Capolongo on Tuesday (November 4) in Manhattan federal court, claiming Spotify’s Discovery Mode feature amounts to “modern payola,” the practice of paying for airplay that regulators have clamped down on since the vaudeville era.
The lawsuit, which you can read here, seeks class-action status for 100 members, seeking more than $5 million exclusive of costs and interest.
The complaint targets Discovery Mode, which Spotify launched in 2020 to let artists and labels flag priority tracks for algorithmic playlists.
Capolongo’s complaint read: “Spotify’s ‘Discovery Mode’ and purportedly organic curated playlists represent the latest form of payola in the industry’s long history of deceptive pay-for-play.”
“Spotify’s ‘Discovery Mode’ and purportedly organic curated playlists represent the latest form of payola in the industry’s long history of deceptive pay-for-play.”
Genevieve Capolongo’s Complaint
It adds: “Yet, Spotify’s version of payola stands out still. Unlike the DJs and promoters of old, Spotify charges listeners for the privilege of being deceived—$11.99 per month for an individual plan, to be exact.”
Capolongo argues that Spotify “exploits” users’ trust “by marketing itself as a platform that offers organic music recommendations—whether through its algorithmic or curated playlists—only to secretly sell those recommendations to the highest bidder.”
The lawsuit claims Spotify’s marketing promises personalized playlists “made just for you” while burying disclosures that “commercial considerations may influence [its] recommendations.”
Capolongo claims she subscribed in September 2023 “and routinely listened to music through Spotify’s platform, including its curated playlists such as Release Radar, Discover Weekly, her AI DJ, and other editorial and algorithmic playlists that Spotify advertised as neutral and personalized” but kept hearing mainstream major-label tracks despite preferring independent artists.
“Unlike the DJs and promoters of old, Spotify charges listeners for the privilege of being deceived—$11.99 per month for an individual plan, to be exact.”
Genevieve Capolongo’s Complaint
Spotify rejected the allegations, telling AllHipHop: “The allegations in this complaint are nonsense. Not only do they misrepresent what Discovery Mode is and how it works, but they are riddled with misunderstandings and inaccuracies.”
The company explained that Discovery Mode affects only Radio, Autoplay and certain Mixes, not flagship playlists like Discover Weekly or the AI DJ that the lawsuit references.
Spotify added: “The complaint even gets basic facts wrong: Discovery Mode isn’t used in all algorithmic playlists, or even Discover Weekly or DJ, as it claims.
“It’s also wrong to suggest Discovery Mode only supports major label artists. In fact, it’s been widely embraced by the independent music community, many of whom have praised the program publicly.”
Separately, last Sunday (November 2), Eric Dwayne Collins, known professionally as rapper RBX, filed a class-action lawsuit against Spotify, alleging the streaming giant has failed to prevent “mass-scale fraudulent streaming” that has caused “massive financial harm” to legitimate artists.
The complaint, which you can read here, was filed in California’s Central District Court. It centers on automated bots that artificially inflate stream counts for select artists while diminishing payouts for others.
RBX’s lawsuit specifically points to Drake, whom Spotify lists as “the most streamed artist of all time.” In September, Drake became the first artist to exceed 120 billion streams on Spotify, beating Taylor Swift and Bad Bunny.
According to Collins’ lawsuit, about 37 billion streams attributed to Drake between January 2022 and September 2025 “were inauthentic and appeared to be the work of a sprawling network of bot accounts.”
In a statement issued to the media, Spotify said: “We cannot comment on pending litigation. However, Spotify in no way benefits from the industry-wide challenge of artificial streaming.
“We heavily invest in always-improving, best-in-class systems to combat it and safeguard artist payouts with strong protections like removing fake streams, withholding royalties, and charging penalties.
“Our systems are working: In a case from last year, one bad actor was indicted for stealing $10,000,000 from streaming services, only $60,000 of which came from Spotify, proving how effective we are at limiting the impact of artificial streaming on our platform. For more information about artificial streaming, how artists can avoid it, and what Spotify is doing to tackle the issue, please visit.”
Music Business Worldwide